Kerry Maintenance helps to keep Stroud safe this Gas Safety Week

In support of Gas Safety Week (18-24 September 2017), local Gas Safe registered engineers from Kerry Maintenance Ltd in Stroud want to raise awareness of gas safety issues and emphasise the importance of having an annual gas safety check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Gas Safety Week aims to encourage people from Stroud to get their gas appliances checked at least once a year. Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. There have been 21 deaths and over 800 gas-related injuries in the last three years.

By law, only Gas Safe registered engineers can work on gas appliances. An estimated 5m UK households put themselves at risk by employing illegal fitters who aren’t qualified to do gas work. It’s therefore vital you make sure your engineer is registered with the official gas authority, Gas Safe Register.

Brothers, Matt and Scott Kerry who own Kerry Maintenance said: “We check that people’s gas appliances are working safely and efficiently as part of our day-to-day work. In most cases, residents are unaware of the danger they and their family could be in if their gas appliance is found to be unsafe. For this reason, we’re pledging our support for Gas Safety Week and doing our bit to raise awareness of gas safety issues among the public in Stroud, to let residents know what steps they can take to keep themselves safe.”

Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register, said: “We know from our own investigations that one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe3. Unsafe gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning or fires, putting people’s lives at risk. It’s great to have the support of Kerry Maintenance this Gas Safety Week. By working together we can raise further awareness of gas safety, to help reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in people’s homes.”


Stay Gas Safe at home this Gas Safety Week by following these top tips:

  •  Sign up to a free annual gas safety check reminder service at
  • Know the signs of an unsafe gas appliance:A lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame; soot or staining on or around the appliance; excess condensation in the room.
  •  Recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO poisoning is known as the ‘silent killer’ as it has no smell, taste or colour. The symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness, which can easily be mistaken for something else.
  • ‘Trust the Triangle’ and always ask to see an engineer’s Gas Safe ID card, checking it to make sure the engineer is qualified to check or fit the appliance in question.


If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24 hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed